Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Shower at the Mislang's

Last Saturday we spent a wonderful evening at the Mislang's at a baby shower for Tom and me. The night was filled with excellent food (not that I'd have expected differently from those Secord women... talented as they are in the kitchen) - Shrimp with basmati rice, green beans with toasted sliced almonds and lemon zest (it is a real dinner party when zest of any variety is involved, after all...), bread, and an amazing dessert served in a martini glass (I was sadly pleased to be able to 'use' a martini glass, though not for its original purpose) of strawberries, fresh cream, and lady finger type cookies. There were mai tais and margaritas which I'm told tasted good... I may have had a sip or two (or five) when concocting them to make sure I wasn't passing along sub-standard beverages to my good friends... That would, of course, be unacceptable.

It was a great mix of friends and I'd say family because Dan, Mary, Lara & Jenny are basically just an extension of my family in my mind.

The setting was beautiful - it is hard to top an early fall evening in Santa Barbara when the mountains turn a deep purple-blue while the sun sets over the ocean. They had a table, under a large oak tree, decorated with white phalaenopsis orchids, candles, and quite the table cloth with matching place cards... But I'll leave the secret of that success to Lara.

Tom & I had a wonderful time and are so thankful and appreciative of all that Lara, as well as Jenny and Mary, did getting it all ready. Lara does have a few other things going on these days... namely Miles and Danika... so we were also very glad they gave their Mom a little time to get everything organized as well as some time to sit and enjoy a mai tai or two...

It was a fantastic way to celebrate the shortly to arrive Blabey baby. =)

We were lucky enough at the end of the evening to have a Danika sighting when she came back home - man, those kids are ridiculously cute. Lara & Robert are going to have their hands full down the road, that all I'm going to say. =)

Again, thanks to all for a wonderful evening.
Should I get photos... I will post them!

No comments: